View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Carrying on from lack of posts 
STARTING OUT

GUN OF CHOICE: HW 100 KT
Post Carrying on from lack of posts
It isn't meant to be negative it's a constructive comment. There's loads of shooting
forums, some big some small, some busy etc and most who use the bigger ones use
the smaller ones such as this forum.
All the forums need a focus point. The BBS has a busy sales section, intern brings customers posting,
the Airgun forum has a more relaxed atmosphere that brings in the regulars.
What I'm trying to say is this forum needs a focus point.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:55 pm
SITE ADMIN

GUN OF CHOICE: Huntsman 177 Solo 177
Twitter Name: None
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/01480Casey
Post Re: Carrying on from lack of posts
I take on board what you're saying Keith but surely the focus point of this forum is that it is purely and simply a forum for vermin hunters and pest control, The other forums you mention do seem to have a lot of visitors at times but it appears that most of the posts are just to sell something. This forum was never meant to be a vehicle for getting shot of unwanted or unused items and the sales thread has never been used to any great extent.

I think the problems are that there are now so many forums out there that it's, to use a metaphor, spreading the butter too thinly on the toast. Add to this the fact that most of the members shoots and permissions have very few rabbits left now, due to the really bad myxomatosis problem over the last four years and you can understand why there are so few posts now. There are one or two members still posting but it is difficult to write interesting posts when you are seeing little on your shoot and shooting even less.

I suppose we could always introduce topless moderators to oversee the day to day but it is a bit cold to get the 'nips' out at the moment! :lol:

2016 total:.337
2015 total:.453
2014 total:.646
2013 total:.555
2012 total:.505
2011 total:.581
2010 total:.705

Rabbits:... 185
Squirrels:... 59
Rats:... 48
Pigeons:... 9
Crows:... 0
Rooks:... 0
Magpies:... 0
Jackdaws:... 0
Various:... 6
Total 2017:.. 307

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 am
SENIOR VERMINHUNTER

GUN OF CHOICE: air arms s410 classic
Twitter Name: 85k11
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/85k11
I think a lack of posts could be down to facebook as there are loads of facebook shooting sites .
it's a shame really as it use to be a great site and I can remember many a night sitting up on the chat part talking with everyone else .
shame that apart from a few it has really died off .

woody-22 rabbit-38 squirrel-2

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:17 pm
Profile YIM
STARTING OUT

Yes your right Casey in what you are saying with the exception of naked mods that would be frightening to say the least.

I suppose you can't make folk post topics, this sort of topic has been brought up many times
and as you have already said quite a few us forums for sales only, and in any forum there are a few hard
core posters that make an effort to post.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:25 pm
STARTING OUT

GUN OF CHOICE: AA TX200HC .22
Twitter Name: N/A
Not just this forum, most of the others are quiet as well, problem is there's no point in posting when nobody answers...

Even the airgun forum is unusually quiet...

As for 'faceache' I don't even frequent that shitehole...

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm
SITE ADMIN

There just isn't anything much to write about as far as hunting trips go now. Take my shoots (around 3000 acres) for instance; over the past 23 years I have averaged 1125 rabbits per year , including those shot with .22 rimfire rifle and shotguns and it never seemed to make any difference to the overall number of rabbits around. Most years I would shoot about 500 rabbits with the air rifle alone. Now I'm down to under 200 and I don't even bother with rimfire or shotguns any more. I don't see them returning in any numbers in my lifetime now.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 pm
STARTING OUT

I shoot purely for vermin control and the odd one for the pot, one of my main permissions has a guy
on there that has retired and hes on there 4 nights a week and he uses rim fires and high powered air rifles.

Yet theirs still rabbits on there for me to shoot I use a HW 100 and night vision and a springer during the day.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:35 am
A VERMIN HUNTER

GUN OF CHOICE: theoben btas .177.
Twitter Name: N/A
well i dont get out much but i always like to post any of my outing and yes i could say whats the point but looking at vairios post a lot of them havent posted many since they joined maybe they dont get out very much but i feel that any post amember can post would be of intrest to lets say other members but as i have said on here before you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink and i am gratfull to the moderaters for all the time and cost they encore so i would like to kick of if casey will pm his ady i would like to make a donation towards keeping this site going WHO,S NEXT

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:36 pm
SITE ADMIN

Thanks for your kind offer Jim but I do not incur any costs myself. Danro is the man who runs the Verminhunter site now, I just make sure you lot don't post anything illegal, derogatory or defamatory.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:52 pm
A VERMIN HUNTER

GUN OF CHOICE: AA s410, Brocock Contour
It is a shame that the forum is not getting used as it used to and I have only been a member for a couple of years.

Although there are other forums, I tend to come back tothis one as I like to try and keep it going, but Jim (Casey) has hit the nail on the head for me, there is nothing to shoot.
It took six months for me to get my air rifle license due to the fact that I am north of the border and have to get one, but on the one permission I have there is nothing to shoot, no pigeons, I don't know where they have all gone as I didn't shoot them, no woodys as the farmer has stopped growing crops as it was not cost effective and there have never been many rabbits. I have never seen rats and the farmer assures me that there are no rats. In short, I have not shot anything this year and I can't get any more permissions..............well I have tried but not been succesful and I have approached many farm owners in the last number of years.

It is a real shame that the forum isn't getting used as it used to but unfortunately as Jim (furfeather) said, you can lead a horse and all that.

All we can do is try and keep it going as much as possible and see what 2018 brings.........well that is what I think, for what it is worth.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]